Pages

Friday, February 10, 2017

Going Plastic Free ~ A Journey Begins

A portion of my downsizing journey involves progress towards a plastic free life.  I've recently read the excellent book: Plastic-Free: How I Kicked the Plastic Habit and How You Can Too.  It's something that I've been interested in for years.  It started with plastic bags, which seemed to accumulate at exponential rates.  I hated that no-one recycled them and while I tried to donate them to various thrift shops, I hated how they lined the fences and fields regardless.  In the early 2000's, made myself a set of fabric shopping bags and got myself in the habit of using them all the time.  Then I made my family members sets of bags.  Now, it is my daughter's and my "go-to wedding shower gift".  It's been great to see them getting used a lot!  

I've also used wicker laundry baskets most of my adult life - until I "inherited" two plastic ones when my mother passed away.  As durable plastic items, I didn't just want to discard them and they don't have recycle symbols on them, so I've figured I would get as much use out them as I could before they went to the landfill.  

I've tried to minimize purchases of plastic items, but I knew I still had quite a few in my home.  The book opened my eyes to sources of plastic that I didn't even know were there - in things like teabags! Going to the grocery store this week with all my newfound knowledge was an eye-opener.  Did you know that you cannot buy berries without them being pre-packaged in plastic?  Or grapes?  They all come pre bagged in plastic.  

This morning I decided that for a week, starting today, I would collect all the plastic disposable items that I used.  I was thinking it wasn't much, until I remembered my morning teabag, and then I checked the mail and found an envelope with a plastic window.  And then that cup of Chai from Starbucks ~ which I forgot to request without the plastic stopper/stirrer thing.  And the cup?  I learned that all those "paper" hot cups or bowls say "do not microwave" on them because the paper is impregnated with plastic, which when heated leaches carcinogenic/dangerous chemicals into the food.  But a steaming hot filling of coffee, tea, chai, or soup doesn't?  I'll think twice before ordering again unless I have my own stainless steel cup for them to fill.  

So, one day into my full bore attempt to go plastic free, has already been quite an education.  
Today's plastic accumulation.  Starbucks plastic impregnated "paper" cup with plastic lid, plastic stopper/stirrer, Lipton teabag (impregnated with up to 30% plastic), plastic window on solicitation mail received plus two plastic "pre-membership" cards from AARP; and a plastic bag from my favorite treat of Dove chocolates.  

Action plan?  
- Contact AARP and request 1) to be removed from their mailing list, 2) to request that AARP not send plastic through the mail which will then be solely destined for the landfill.  
- Not purchase Starbucks in the future without bringing my own plastic free cup for them to fill
- Contact Dove to see if there is any way to purchase their chocolates without the plastic bag.  If not, then seek another source of milk chocolate that comes in non-plastic wrapping. Sad face here as I like theirs better than any other I have found yet.  



No comments:

Post a Comment

Welcome and Thank You for leaving a comment! I am not always able to answer back, but please know that I value your comments!